Sunday, February 23, 2014

Get Off Your Phones!!

What is this world we live in, where people cannot have a normal conversation at a dinner table because everyone is on their phones. I thought about this as I sat outside my door, on top of the long staircase below me. Taken away by my clouded brain filled with thoughts of school, worry and stress, I was unable to see what was right in front of me. There was nature and beauty surrounding me. Immediately my dog zoomed down the stairs ready to run a marathon. He was distracted by the constant song of the birds resting on the trees casting the shadows in which I was sitting under. A little spider was accompanying me while spinning a web, on the side of the railing. I ended up taking its life, but that is besides the point. As I was sitting on the warm steps with nothing to do, the cars passing by seemed as if they were trying to catch the last plane flying out of the airport. People were in an unbroken trance in their daily lives, going from point A to point B. Not one person passing by stopped to realize the beauty and simplicity around them. I realized, that when I blocked out the things that do not matter out of my head, I was quick to grasp what really did matter. The Instagram posts and  Twitter updates are not what make a person. The people and environment surrounding each and every one of us, is what shapes who we become. I came up with this idea within the thirty minutes I was sitting outside of my door, shut away from my phone and computer. I wonder what life would be if we were completely and permanently shut out from the unimportant things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment